Experimenting with paper, inks, stamps, paints, fabrics, stitches, metal..........

Experimenting with paper, inks, stamps, paints, fabrics, stitches, metal..........

Sunday, 3 August 2014

PaperArtsy Challenge: Hanging Board

The latest PaperArtsy challenge was to make something inspired by guest designer Liesbeth Fidder. 

Looking through some of  Liesbeth's designs on the challenge blog were some tags with lovely backgrounds made using powdered paint called Bister.  I have used something similar called Brusho to get some interesting effects, but haven't used it for a while, so I have been inspired to get them out of the cupboard and get messy!  One of Liesbeth's designs using PaperArtsy products was a Hanging board and I also took inspiration from this, making something similar.

The rubberstamps used on the project were all Ink and the Dog stamp collection from PaperArtsy.

My board was made with artists craft board, roughly cut into three pieces with heavy duty scissors. The edges were inked with bright green Distress Ink with a foam applicator.  A few layers of gesso were painted on all the pieces roughly.  Each layer was allowed to dry before the next.

Some 300gsm white card and the prepared craft board were spritzed with water from a spray bottle, then the Brusho powdered paint was sprinkled on the surface of the water.

Drying the surfaces with a heat gun, this was repeated a few times with the green and turquoise colour.

Once the board was completely dry, it was stamped with some of the images randomly (post mark, splats, ruler and dragonfly) in green Distress Ink or black or grey StazOn.  Stamping was dried with a heat gun then each of the pieces of board were inked around the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink, using foam.

All the other stamps were randomly stamped with black archival ink on the white card decorated with Brusho, some numerous times.  A number of butterflies were cut out, as was the man's head and shoulders.  Some of the colour was removed from the man's face with a wet paintbrush and blotting with kitchen roll. The man's face and words were stuck to the board with PVA glue, the butterfllies were added using dimensional glue gel.

Paperartsy Grunge Flower dies were used to cut the flower embellishments from the Brusho and stamped card. The backs were coloured with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and the flower shaped by placing in the palm of the hand and running a large ball tool around the middle. Flowers were finished off, whether multi layer or single layer with a antique brass brad and some brown ink around the edges.

Holes were made in the board with a screw punch and the boards were connected with antique brass jump rings.  Matching chain was added to the top part of the board and the grunge flowers were added with dimensional glue.  To finish off, a little polymer clay face embellishment was added to one of the butterflies.

1 comment:

  1. Great project, I love Brusho, not used mine in ages either.